Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Everything is Better in a Skillet"

So after the whole fire alarm debacle with our delicious skillet pizza, the King made a very true statement.  He declared, "everything is better in a skillet."  As I stuffed my face with pizza, I could only nod my head in agreement.  

Growing up, our grilled cheese sandwiches consisted of 2 slices of toast and a slice of processed cheese melted together in the microwave.  Now, I wouldn't dream of making grilled cheese without thick buttered bread and a multitude of cheeses in a skillet.  

It's fair to say the skillet has changed my life.  Tonight, I reheated day old pizza in our skillet and then put it under the broiler.  So much better than the microwave!

The skillet has also caused me to change my crouton making ways.  My original crouton recipe needs updating.  It has been a long time since I made croutons in the oven.  The bread in my Greek Panzanella salad is what reformed me.  

It's more delicious.  Check.  Takes less time.  Check.  And it keeps things crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside just the way I like it.  Done.  
You can use any old bread.  Clearly I did for this picture.  Let's be honest, this is not the most photogenic of cubed bread.  But, it did the trick.

In other completely random news, my kid can sort of sit up for about 10-20 seconds before crash landing on her face.

Skillet Croutons

Ingredients:
  • Skillet
  • Olive Oil
  • Day old bread, cubed
  • Salt
Directions:
  1. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to your skillet and heat over medium heat.
  2. Add your bread to the skillet.  Season it with salt (or any other flavor you so desire).
  3. Toss frequently for 5-10 minutes until browned.  Add more olive oil as needed.
  4. Allow to cool (or not if you have no self control like me) and then enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. That bread in that salad is seriously like the best thing ever so I'm on board. I can't wait till summer when I can make it again!

    ReplyDelete