Saturday, November 24, 2012

Changes

So a few things have changed in the past 10 months since I've written last:
We've added a Princess Crouton to our clan!  She was welcomed to the world on September 13th...arriving 2 weeks before her due date (thank goodness).  

It all started on a normal Thursday morning.  I got up at 7AM to head in for a progress check with the doctor while the King stayed in bed.  He nonchalantly asked if I would mind turning off the alarm.  I walked over to hit the button, when my shorts felt wet.  I thought the Princess had a put a little too much pressure on my bladder, so I continued on my merry way to the bathroom for a shower (I even got to shave my legs!).  When the leak didn't let up, I know this was about to get real and decided to rouse the King.  I will never forget the look of shock on his face when I told him he best get up and pack his suitcase.  We scrambled to throw everything in the car and hit the doctor's office where I have never been seen so fast! He confirmed that a baby would be born to us that day!  We calmly (while inwardly panicking) walked over to a full labor and delivery unit where I bounced someone to get my room (there were 14 babies in the nursery our first night there!).  Contractions were induced and the fun began.  AMEN to the epidural.  I got to watch "Crazy, Stupid Love" while the King napped.  Fast forward a few hours to a dinner that consisted of an orange popsicle and I was "ready" to push at 7:45PM.  I'll spare you all the details...just believe Lorelei Gilmore when she says "And while some have called it the most meaningful experience of your life, to me it was something more akin to doing the splits on a crate of dynamite".  The princess arrived to us at 9:02PM and did a brief stint in the NICU.  The King accompanied her while I was checked and rechecked every 15 minutes for an hour and then we all met up in the recovery room.  It was the longest wait of my life (the 9 months were nothing compared to that hour!).  I didn't even get to hold her or take a picture of her before she was carted off.  But, all is well that ends well and in this case it ended with celebratory chocolate birthday cake and snuggling our beautiful baby girl.  


Since then, we've endured some trials and tribulations, but overall it has been the greatest. She is a pretty easy-going lady with the patience of a Saint for putting up with our novice attempts at parenting.  And some days still go like this.

But overall, parenthood is pretty awesome...so far.  
*Note:  No babies were harmed in taking this photo- she was immediately scooped into my arms and given hugs and kisses until she was happy again.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish more blogs I read would go with your plan of sparing the details and just putting a funny TV show quote. I know it's wrong but babies crying in pictures is just so cute, I love it.

    ReplyDelete