Monday, June 13, 2011

I got beef.

I got beef.  Flank steak to be exact.  And I wanted to grill it.

I made a honey-lime marinade and I wanted to take a bath in it.  I dipped pita chips in it while the king watched, and then when his back was turned, I shamelessly used my fingers to scrape and lick the bowl.  This is probably not queen behavior so shhh don't tell...I wouldn't want to lose my crown.

So try this marinade.  Chicken, pork, veggies, or straight out of the bowl, it is highly recommended.

However, I do not think that I used the marinade to it's full potential.  Our grilled medium-well flank steak came out tough, and we couldn't even taste the heavenly marinade on the finished product!  I felt jipped.  And that is why I've got beef.

I'm still rather new at grilling (2 weeks new in fact).  Did I use the wrong cut of meat?  Was I supposed to baste it on the grill?  Was medium-well too long?  Please help!  If you have any tips for better beef grilling, I'm all ears.


 Honey-Lime Marinade/Dressing
*adapted slightly from flank steak tacos with cilantro

  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • A bunch of fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons of honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ancho-chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of red-pepper flakes
  • 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Combine lime juice, garlic, and cilantro in a small food processor and pulse until blended.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend.
  3. Marinate/dress a salad/slurp it out of the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment